Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside your Door


How many of you are old enough to remember “Bob” from Sesame Street singing “Who are the people in your neighborhood...they're the people that you meet each day.”
What does this look like in my life? 
Well, it means that I have taken the time to get to know each of my neighbors. 
In today's society I know it is a lot different. At least in our suburban area - people drive out of their garages, go to work, shop, whatever and then return home to their garages. Two years ago, I knew just a few of my neighbors. That has changed. I made the decision to at least to get to know all of my neighbors.  Now granted, I am not best friends with any of them, but we all now have at least a common enough relationship that we will sometimes gather in the street or in someone's yard to chat. We check on each other, watch out for each other.

Why do I do this? First for me, it is simply the correct thing to do. As a follower of Christ, it is what He has told me is important. Love my neighbor...
Now, even if your faith journey is different, the principle is still valid. It was turned onto a concept & a book...called the Art of Neighboring.



     

But the added benefit is that we are currently developing into a community. We worked together to shovel out of a major snow storm this year together; to include shoveling out the little elderly lady at the end. I made sure everyone had what they needed, food, water, coffee...
They are not aware of it, but our neighborhood has already started to develop an infrastructure to care for each other. If perhaps, something catastrophic should occur; we already have a relationship & history to start with to come together in a time of need.
In the end, there isn't really any ulterior motive in developing these relationship, except to love my neighbors. But there is a greater benefit for the greater good.
The reality is a lot of people will be "bugging in" if something should happen. Now that we are moving to a new neighborhood, we are intentionally getting to know our new neighbors(70).  
What does this look like in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment